Saturday, October 2, 2010

{Surprise!}

Yes, I'm really blogging! It's been almost two months since I've blogged, and my last few posts haven't even been about my family. The reason for my slacking? Well . . . I've simply been focusing on other things. Lame explanation, I know, but it's the truth.

Anyway, I'm not even going to attempt to recap all the news of the past few months. That would take way too long! So I'm going to start with the here and now and just move forward.

September is always an exciting month for my family - not just because it's the start of school and a new season, but because it's Sasha's birthday month! The countdown begins on the 1st of the month and the excitement builds as the days tick by. So I asked Sasha if she wanted to do anything special for her big day and she immediately said yes. She wanted to get her ears pierced.

Now, I must preface this story with some background. Earlier this summer Sasha decided she wanted to get her ears pierced, so her Nana, Daddy and I took her to Claire's to get it done. We were so excited! I kind of wanted her to be a bit older, but she seemed ready and I gave in. Anyway, she was nervous and I had to keep reassuring her she would be ok. Nana even got a second ear piercing first so Sasha could see it was no big deal. Long story short, we ended up leaving with her ears bare. She totally flipped out and left in tears.

So when Sasha requested getting her ears pierced for her birthday, I was hesitant. She insisted she was ready this time and it was just about all she talked about for the days leading up to our trip back to the mall.

Well . . . once we were in the store and I had filled out all the paperwork Sasha once again let fear consume her. So little Clara (who just turned five) hopped up on the chair and got hers pierced.

Check out her sparkly blue flowers!

We asked her if it hurt and she replied, "Just a little bit." She didn't flinch, cry, or complain one single bit. What a brave girl. I was able to eventualy talk Sasha into sitting on my lap to get hers done. The ears were swabbed with alcohol, the dots were made with a pen, and her hair was clipped back. And that's as far as she got. I think she turned every head in the store with her screams and cries, and she thrashed her way out of my arms onto the floor. The poor girl is simply terrified of anything that might cause the slightest bit of pain.
What was supposed to be Sasha's special birthday treat turned out to be Sasha's special torture and Clara's surprise gift. Go figure.
On her actual birthday - which was Thursday - I took cupcakes to her school during lunch. Clara and Dixon and I stayed with her for her lunch time and I could tell she was in her glory. I soaked it up because I know it won't be long before my presence in her school will be a source of embarrassment. ;)
She decided she wanted to go to Cluggy's and Red Lobster that evening, so that's what we did.
All three kids got sweaty, dirty and exhausted - and they all slept really well that night!
Today we held her birthday party here at our house. Her past two birthday parties have been major events - a farm party for her 5th and a wedding party for her 6th - so this year she had a simple pizza party. She and her friends painted pumpkins and pummeled a pinata, but the rest of the time was spent playing in the backyard, eating pizza, and just having fun.
How I became the mom of a seven-year-old is beyond me. I'm only 25! :)
Happy Birthday, Sasha Rose! I look forward to another year of ups and downs with you - you sure do know how to keep us on our toes!

2 comments:

  1. It was a fun day celebrating her 7th birthday. I can't believe that she is 7 already. I can't believe I have three daughters who collectively have seven children. Do you see a pattern here with 7?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annisa that is classic!! I can see Clara and Lily have similar personalities! LOL

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Sasha, looks like she had fun! Her and Isaac share the same birthday!!

    ReplyDelete