Wednesday, September 2, 2009

{The School Girl}

The big day finally came. Sasha's first day of Kindergarten. On Monday morning, Sasha woke me up by bounding into my bed and announcing that it was "the day" and she was ready to go.

We all got dressed, ate breakfast, and then headed outside for some pictures. She looked so darn cute in her new outfit! But I do feel badly about one thing. The sweater. I didn't think it would be cold in August, but it has been downright chilly in the mornings and evenings! And I didn't have a sweater that matched this outfit. So the poor child had to wear a size 3T sweater over her top. Oh, well. She didn't care and I don't think it looked all that bad.

Cory rearranged his morning schedule so he could be here to see his big girl go to school for the first time, and Sasha was thrilled. It's a day not to be missed!

Here is my school girl ready for her first day of Kindergarten. Clara had a hard time with the idea of Sasha going to school. All day long she sobbed and sobbed. "I don't want Sasha to go to Kindergarten." "Is Sasha going to come home?" "I miss Sasha." Clara lost her best friend, and she is not happy about it.
But back to the joy of the first day! Sasha literally danced and skipped her way to the bus stop. Check out her Cinderella backpack that her Nana got for her. Inside is her princess lunchbox. She has since informed me that she will pack one day, but the next, and keep alternating. We'll see how that goes.

I wasn't sure how she would do being away from me all day long (she leaves at 8:26 and doesn't get home until 4:00), so I drew a heart on her hand and told her that every time she misses me to look at the heart and know that I love her and miss her, too. Sasha liked that a lot.

The bus pulled up and Sasha bounded off. She has been SO looking forward to riding a bus!

She climbed up and never looked back. I love her brave spirit.

I will admit that a few tears were shed when she got on the bus and it pulled away. My baby is now a school girl. It was a long day for me. I thought about Sasha all day long, and even drove by the school twice to see if her class just might be outside playing at recess. They weren't, but it was nice to see her classroom and know she was there. (Before you think I'm a total nut, I will add that I was already in the van and didn't load up the other kids to make a special trip to the school.)
Clara was a mess all day, which made it even harder for me. Thank goodness Dixon had a doctor's appointment in the morning. We met some friends at Tarbucks (Starbucks inside Target) and then headed to his appointment. The distraction was great, and I got to compare notes with other moms who sent their kids off to school.
Finally it was time for Sasha to come home. Her bus was about 15 minutes late, but I suppose that's to be expected as everyone works out the kinks on the first day. Sasha got off the bus and Clara was there to give her a huge hug. Sasha was happy, excited, and gushing about her day.
Here's a little bit about her first day:

What am I going to do next year when Clara has to go to school full-time, too?


  1. Aw Shucks! Love the pictures and the video.

  2. I TOLD you that you would cry!!! And... didn't I tell you NOT to drive past the school and stalk through the windows???