Sunday, May 31, 2009

{Two Dancing Princesses}

My girls love, LOVE, to dance. For the past three years Sasha has taken dance lessons at Clarissa's in Greencastle, and Clara has taken lessons for two years. The instructors there are wonderful and the girls have so much fun.

This weekend was recital weekend. There are three recitals: Friday night, Saturday afternoon, and Saturday night. Unfortunately, the girls were not placed in the same recital which meant that Cory and I had to sit through two two and half hour recitals and all of our family had to choose which one to attend. Sasha danced Friday night and Clara danced Saturday afternoon. It made for a long weekend!

For the girls, recitals mean a couple things: they get to dance on a real stage, they wear sparkly costumes, and they get to wear makeup. This is a big deal!

Sasha was all smiles and poses when I dropped her off backstage.
She did a FABULOUS job dancing! I wish I could post pictures of her on stage, but I have none. No photography allowed. :( I was able to videotape the dress rehearsal, but I'll have to figure out how to load the video onto my laptop in order to post it. Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.
I picked Sasha up backstage at the end of the very long recital. She knew from past years that her family would be waiting with gifts. Last week she even asked me if she would get presents for dancing. I asked her what she wanted and she replied, "Flowers, jewelry, books . . . " At least she knows what she wants! And she got it, too. MeMe, Nana, Daddy and I all had bouquets of flowers for her, and Nana also had a silver necklace that says, "Dance like no one is looking". Sasha was thrilled. MeMe's flowers ended up on her nightstand so she could see them before bed.

We're very proud of Sasha and I love the fact that she gets so much joy out of dancing. Next year will be a little different for her as she has "graduated" from the Kinderdance series where the kids do ballet, tap, and jazz. She now has to choose what kind of dance she wants to do and will take half hour focused classes. The only kind of dance she absolutely wants to do is ballet. She loves the look of ballet. I think Barbie has a lot to do with this - she loves to watch Barbie and the 12 Dancing Princesses and other Barbie movies that involve ballet. I'm hoping she'll also do jazz and a gymnastics class, but we'll see.
Clara isn't quite the poser that her big sister is. When I took her backstage on Saturday for her recital she had no patience for my wish to take pictures of her. She just wanted to play hopscotch and run around with the other girls. This was the best picture I could get of her all dolled up for the big day.
Clara danced to an adorable song called "Me and My Teddy Bear". She's been singing the song for months at home and we could see her singing along as she danced onstage. It's so much fun to watch the little ones dance! This was her first year dancing on stage and I'm really impressed with how well she did. The girl has no fear!
When I picked her up backstage, the first thing she said was, "Where are my flowers?" This girl knows what she wants, too. We didn't let her down, either. The bouquets were waiting!

In April the girls had their pictures taken at the dance studio, and I thought I'd share two of them. These are pictures I took, and I'm sure the professional ones are much better. But this shows the girls costumes (minus Clara's teddy bear and Sasha's mirror that were dance props).

As much as I love dance season and watching the girls learn new moves, I'm glad it's over for the summer. We all need a break! In July both Sasha and Clara will go to a mini-dance camp for three nights, so that will be nice. Plus, it's a Tinkerbell theme, so I know they will have a blast.
Until September rolls around, we'll be dancing in the family room!







No comments:

Post a Comment